AKC Bred With H.E.A.R.T. Program Requirements
Health: Certifying that their breeding stock is health tested in accordance with the recommendations of their breed’s AKC Parent Club.
Education: Promising that they will pursue AKC provided or AKC approved continuing breeder education so that they stay current on the best breeding practices, including advances in canine health.
Accountability: Agreeing to comply with the AKC Care and Conditions Policy, including inspections by the AKC, and promising to share with AKC health testing and continuing education documentation.
Responsibility: Accepting responsibility for the health and well-being of the puppies they produce and for complying with all laws regarding the ownership and maintenance of dogs.
Tradition: Upholding the AKC’s tradition of breeding purebred dogs that are happy and healthy.
THE FOLLOWING MUST BE MET IN ORDER TO BE ACCEPTED INTO THE PROGRAM.
- Have registered at least one AKC litter within the past 5 years.
- Be in good standing with the AKC.
- Certify applicable health screens are performed on breeding stock as recommended by the respective AKC Breed Parent Club and be prepared to supply proof of such compliance upon request.
- Must agree to comply with the AKC Care and Conditions Policy including inspection(s) by the American Kennel Club or its duly authorized representative.
- Must agree to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding the ownership and maintenance of dogs.
- Must agree to complete AKC-approved and/or AKC-provided continuing breeder education courses annually.
- Must complete the online application process and pay an annual fee of $25 per breed.